How To Check Injector Pulse With Multimeter
The fuel injectors in our cars sprays fuel into the cylinders of your engine. There it is mixed with air, compressed, instigated by spark plug to create power. A problem in your fuel injectors can cause your engine to run down easily. There are many reasons why your injectors can fail. You can properly check your fuel injector pulse with a multi meter before use injector cleaner, which will help you know the condition of your injector. In this guide you’ll know how to check injector pulse with multimeter.
Things you will need to check your injector
- Digital volt Ohmmeter (DVOM) or multimeter with ohms settings
- Multimeter kit
- Goggles to protect your eyes
Steps on how to check your fuel injector with a multimeter
Step 1: Prepare yourselves properly
- Choose your desired multimeter and multimeter kit which would be suitable for your vehicle corresponding with your petrol engine.
- Some engines of vehicles have plastic panels, those need to be removed before you can come across the fuel injectors. They are usually secured by bolts and are removed with the help of a basic socket set which includes an extension.
- Put on your gloves and eye wear/goggles. You need to protect yourself properly. Proper eye protection will prevent dirt and other debris from falling into your eyes and cause you difficulty. Gloves would prevent your hands from coming into any direct contact with the devices.
- Turn of your car and remove the keys.
Step 2: Locate the injectors and take out your multi-meter kit
- First of all you have to open the hood and find the fuel injectors. You will find the location of the fuel injectors written in your car’s manufacturing module. Fuel injectors are usually located on the intake manifold and connected to each other with a fuel rail. (V6, V8, V10) engines with V styles have two fuel rails. Half of the injectors are placed on each side of motor.
- Open your kit pick up the multi meter and select the multimeter to measure in ohms. If the meter doesn’t auto arrange then set it to the lowest level.
- Your multimeter will contain two wires one black and one red. Red is the test probe wire and black is the earth wire.
- Connect the harness wires and insert the red test probe into the fuel injector solenoid. Find the acupuncture probe from the kit. Find the black lead and connect it to the earth or ground source. The vehicle’s frame is usually connected to the ground source. So search for an unpainted area under your hood. Then connect the black lead.
- Put the positive lead on the wiring harness terminal. You will find there are two terminals in the wiring harness, where the pongs on the injector inserts.
- Select MSs Pulse on your multi meter. Press the trigger selection button then press negative meter on your multimeter.
- Initially the unit will read oL, then the readings on your multi meter will stabilize and the actual pulse reading will appear.
Now that you have learnt how to check injector pulse with multimeter, you can easily solve the problems and issues related to your fuel injectors with it. Multimeter is an easy and safe device to use. You do not have to go through much hurdle to use it to test your injectors. Purchase a good multimeter and a quality kit, test is on your car’s injectors. You can keep an easy monitor on your fuel injectors often and be notified if any difficulties arise.